Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Holiday Ham

Christmastime is here! With the fun of the season and with Meredith now fully enrolled in Sunday School at our church, this year brought about her first official Christmas play. The play that our church used this year was Matt and Lucy’s Version Birth. Meredith had several songs to learn and her class was assigned to be animals.

Before the assigning of which child would be which animal, Meredith said that she hoped she would be a pig. I explained that most of the animals in the Christmas story are sheep, cows, camels or donkeys. There may not have been any pigs there. Jesus was born Jewish after all. The slips were handed out and sure enough, she was a pig!

You never know what to expect with these types of things. As we all know, getting up in front of people is uncomfortable for many people and you just never know what kids are going to do. I guess that is part of the fun- to see what they will do.

The day of the performance and Meredith is dressed head to toe in pink. She wanted her hair in “piggy tails” of course. She had a little felt hood with ears that she wore. She, of course, looked cute.




The cast processed in from the back and Meredith came right along with them, down the aisle of the church. She stopped at the pew where I was sitting and mumbled something about having something in her shoe. I did a quick fix and rushed her up to the front. The show must go on!

During the first song Meredith starts fidgeting, twisting her legs and essentially looking like she needs a bathroom break and quick. Then, she starts turning red and on come the tears. Uh oh. I motioned to her to come to me so she came and sat in the pew. Apparently her tights were twisted and uncomfortable.

After her departure from the show I now had to figure out how to get her back up there. Luckily she was supposed to be sitting at this point and then when they sang the animal song she was to go back up. I was really 50/50 if she would join in again. Well, when her cue came she got back up there and stayed for the rest of the performance. My only expectation is that she would stand up there, but she knew all of the words , sang and swayed along.


The first Christmas play was overall a success! I was so proud of her to get back up front to perform. She did a great job. We have the video to prove it, so look for it in several years when she hits it big on Broadway.

No comments: